Sunday, December 18, 2011

UFC's Kenny Florian says 2011 move to featherweight was too much for his body to handle

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Kenny Florian attempted to reinvent himself this year in the featherweight division, but after a loss to Jose Aldo at UFC 136 - his third loss with a UFC Title on the line - the 35-year-old decided the cut to featherweight was too much for him, and a move back to lightweight was in order. In an interview with BleacherReport.com, Florian discussed the negatives of that move:

"Dropping to the featherweight division was way too much for my body to handle. The Diego Nunes fight was the worst I've ever felt on a weigh-in day. Luckily, I felt better on fight day and was able to pull out a victory. But, against Aldo it was a brutal weight cut, and I really didn't feel too great heading into the fight. In result, I had some medical issues I had to deal with. I had a thyroid issue that was based on the drastic weight loss. Those are the things you kind of ignore as a fighter, but it became very real to me after the fight. I'll now be moving and staying at lightweight."

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/quicknews/article_11802.shtml

Edgar Garcia Leonard Garcia Andrew Gardner Tiki Ghosn Dennis George

No comments:

Post a Comment