|
The answer is an unequivocal "hell no" from UFC President Dana White in an interview with MMAJunkie.com.
UFC fighters have a somewhat open clause in their standard contracts prohibiting fighters from taking part in "dangerous activities" that could lead to injuries, and though it doesn't have a clear list of activities prohibited, White is more than willing to clarify if fighters ask him.
"I can tell them, 'No, you can't go snowboarding, no you can't do this, and no you can't do that,'" White said. "But you know what's pretty cool about our guys? Most of the guys do call and say, 'Is it cool if I do this? Is it cool if I do that?' It's actually pretty easy dealing with most of these guys."
Cerrone may not go so quietly on this front, and has admitted to bull riding prior to fights this year. However, now that White has stamped a "no" on that activity, he probably wouldn't be very happy if Cerrone continued anyway.
"I'd be pretty pissed," White said. "If Cerrone went out and was bull riding ? maybe he does. Maybe he bull rides every weekend at his house. I don't know. But I certainly hope not. The thing is the guy has a really good career here. He's done some great things. He's worked his way up. If he beats Nate Diaz, it would just be so stupid and counterproductive to be bull riding.
"Bull ride when you're done with this and you've achieved everything you want to achieve here. Guys are going to get out and ride some four-wheelers here and there and do some things. But bull riding? That's a whole 'nother level."
Penick's Analysis: White's reaction isn't at all surprising, and the UFC wanting to discourage "dangerous activities" isn't something unique to them either. Other professional athletes have similar clauses in their contracts, because the owners, organizations, and leagues that employ the athletes don't want them being taken out because of something outside of the sport. And, as White says, there is a major difference between some recreational four-wheeling or something along those lines and bull riding. I can understand Cerrone's desire to do something he enjoys, but when he's rising up the ladder quickly in the UFC, it could be detrimental to that career to continue bull riding at the same time.
Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_11933.shtml
Crosley Gracie Gregor Gracie Ralek Gracie Renzo Gracie Rickson Gracie
No comments:
Post a Comment