|
"That would be a great fight," Alves commented when asked about the potential for the matchup in an interview with ESPN UK. "But like I said, whoever Joe Silva wants me to fight, I'm ready for it. I know I'm a few fights away from title contention, so whoever brings me closer - I'm ready."
Ellenberger was then approached with that possibility in a separate interview with ESPN UK, and he essentially echoed Alves thoughts.
"It doesn't matter to me," Ellenberger said. "He's a good fighter, he had an impressive victory and proved he's still one of the top guys in the division. I'm always open."
Ellenberger, off his knockout win over Jake Shields, is expecting to return to action in January or February, and both he and Alves will be waiting for the call from UFC matchmaker Joe Silva.
Penick's Analysis: With a rematch against Condit not in the cards, Alves is certainly an option for Ellenberger's next fight, but a better matchup right now in the division would probably be Ellenberger against Diego Sanchez. Alves looked impressive against Abedi, but he had lost three of his previous four fights and could benefit from building himself back up. And Ellenberger has been on a roll, so a fight with Alves doesn't necessarily help him move up the ladder. It could be a good fight, and Alves looked very good against Abedi, but it doesn't make the most sense in the division right now.
Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_11133.shtml
Jason Guida Melvin Guillard Cody Guinn Jorge Gurgel Andre Gusmao
No comments:
Post a Comment